Millionaire shortbread slabs have got everything you could want from a dessert! They have a biscuit base, salted caramel, and chocolate. They are perfect for a quick sugar boost, lunch boxes, or with lashings of custard and ice cream
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a small commission on anything you buy using them at no extra cost to you!*
What you need:
A deep baking tray
- 125g Butter
- 55g Caster Sugar
- 180g Plain Flour
For the caramel
- 185g Butter
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 3tbsp Golden Syrup
- 300g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tbsp Salt (or more if you like your caramel salty)
For the chocolate topping
- 175g milk chocolate, or dark chocolate if you like a richer taste.
How to make Millionaire Shortbread slabs
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4.
- First, make the shortbread base.- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth, stir in the four to make a light dough, bring it together with your hands.
- Push the shortbread into the bottom of the baking tray and stab it a few times with a fork to stop any rise.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. then set aside to cool
- Meanwhile, make the caramel.-Put the butter, caster sugar and golden syrup in a pan over medium heat. Add in the condensed milk and the salt to taste, make sure to stir the whole time. Bring to the boil for 5(ish) minutes. Keep stirring to prevent catching and burning on the bottom of the pan. When it looks like caramel, take it off the heat to cool very slightly.
- Tip the caramel onto the cooled biscuit base, and spread right to the edges with a spatula or palette knife.
- Finally, break the chocolate up into squares and melt in the microwave in short bursts of about 20 seconds, taking care to stir between bursts. Alternatively, you can melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Once melted pour on top of the caramel. and smooth to the edges with your spatula or palette knife.
- Put in the fridge to set for a few hours (or overnight)
- Cut them up into big ol’ squares and enjoy however you like!
If you want to be fancy, grab a cocktail stick and drag straight lines back and forth through the chocolate to make a feathering effect. It’s cute but it’s not necessary!
If by some miracle you have some caramel left you can use it to make my super cute Triple Dipped Strawberry Kisses. (Coming SOON!)