Thing’s have got a bit deep here recently so I thought today I’d lighten the mood with my recipe for The Boss’s Rock Cakes. Affectionately named because my husband’s boss was obsessed with them for a time, and requested they be made and brought to work. That was the first time I was baking on demand and not for a family member. If you want to rock cake like a boss then here we go!
***Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I get a small commission for anything you buy using them at no extra cost to you. ***
225g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
110g Softened Butter, chopped
110 Mixed Dried Fruit
55g Granulated Sugar
1 Medium Egg
1-3 tbsp Milk
Demerara Sugar for sprinkling.
Making the rock cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking tray with some baking paper.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the softened butter and lightly rub together with fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Put in the sugar and dried fruit and mix so all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the egg and 1tbsp of milk and mix to create a stiff dough. (If the mix is still dry add another spoon of milk.)
- Divide the mixture into 12 rough balls and space evenly on baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with demerara for a lovely crunch when baked.
- Place in the center of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy your rock cakes warm with hot tea. YUM!
Lots of people have asked me where I got the chopping board that I present my rock cakes recipe and other bakes on, here’s a link.
This isn’t the one I have but it is very similar, The reviews on this say that it smells like burning when you get it, because of the laser used to make the engraving, and it does when you first take it out of the package. But after a couple of washes, it goes away. and it’s totally worth it for Game of Thrones kitchenware!