Playdoh, a staple in many households, also silly expensive when you can make your own homemade playdoh! It’s no-bake, no fuss and takes only minutes. The best part is everything in it comes from your kitchen cupboards, so if little fingers put it in little mouths, while it won’t taste very nice, it won’t harm them either.
What you need to make homemade playdoh:
- 2 cups plain flour (although any flour will do as long as its white, we tried with wholemeal once…it was unsuccessful!)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, (baby oil works too, though I’m not sure that is safe to eat)
- 1/2 cup of table salt (again, we tried wit coarse grinding salt…lumpy playdoh!)
- 2tbsp cream of tartar (this is the ingredient that will give it longevity, but if you don’t have it you don’t need to rush out to buy it, your playdoh just won’t last as long.)
- 1-11/2 cups boiled water
- Food coloring (Optional)
- Glitter (Optional)
- Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar, and oil together in a large bowl.
- Add the food colouring (and glitter if using) into the boiled water.
- Add the coloured water to the dry ingredients a little at a time stirring continuously.
- Allow it to cool until you can handle it.
- Tip it out of the bowl onto the counter and knead it vigorously until all the stickiness has gone and you have lovely stretchy and not sticky playdoh! (This so the most important step so keeps going until its perfect.)
- If you’ve been going for some time and it’s still sticking to things then ad a little more four and work it in.
- Store in an airtight container.